Thursday, November 19, 2009

Glow stick blboobobexerience

I wanted to make a stop motion using just glow stick liquid as my light source. It was around halloween time and i remember how when we were kids we would crack open the glow sticks and put the liquid on our arms/face and it would look so cool. I went to a copule party stores and compared prices because the amount of liquid i needed is a little expensive. I found that the single individual packages you actually get more money for the liquid than the big variety packs. I still got a variety pack because it had an assortment of colors. I picked out white for the stars and to my dissapointment when i cracked open the liquid i realized it was the same as the blue but the plastic container was a different color and thats how they achevie the variety. At first i put some liquid on a black piece of foam board but it sunk through and dind't illumnatie. I accidently spilled liquid on my carpet and it came through much better. I made teh earth with green and blue which turned out well and the grass was of course green and used blue for the sky. I put my thumb over the opening of the stick and quickly dabbed the liquid onto the carpet to create a spread of stars. I did this quickly fearing that the background was going to fade away too fast. Doing the mushrooms was a slow and tedious process especially because the required exposure for this was 8 seconds. 8 seconds also showed the imperfectdions in keepin the camera perfectly still and in the same spot the entire time. Because the shutter was open for so long it can detect the slightetst movemnt of your finger on the shutter release button. I went through and did a smooth cam filter later and it actually helped alot. The background of the green grass started to fade away but I let it happen because the scene was going to change to just the stars. I had to keep re-doing the stars every once in awhile as they were fading away. I also didn't realize how sharp the pieces in the glow stick are that break it apart as I got some dug into my skin and made me bleed alot. It was cool to see this glowing painting on my floor and then when i turned the lights in my room on there was nothing. The editing process waas alot easier than i thought it would be because i could change the duration of each photo all simultaneously. I added a little star burst filter on the image to give the stars a sharper shape to them. The color i left and remained the same as it was shot. The hardest part was getting enough liquid it seemd like when you cracked open the stick you have a lot less than you think you do because most of it is the hard material you crack. Overall I had alot of fun making it and I'm happy with the way it turned out.

No comments:

Post a Comment